Africa’s Tourism Recovery Will Need Healthy Hotel Pipeline

Africa's tourism recovery

AFRICA’S TOURISM INDUSTRY FOCUSES ON POST-COVID RECOVERY, AIMING FOR A BOUNCE BACK BY 2024 THROUGH THE DEVELOPMENT OF A HEALTHY PIPELINE OF HOTELS, AS DISCUSSED AT THE AFRICA TOURISM LEADERSHIP FORUM. WITH OVER 267 HIGH-END PROJECTS ALREADY UNDERWAY AND COMPLETION TRENDS ON THE RISE, AFRICA IS POISED TO REVITALIZE ITS TOURISM SECTOR.

Advertisements

Africa is determined to recover from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on its tourism industry, and the key to this recovery lies in the development of additional hotels. To achieve a successful bounce back, Africa needs to ensure a steady flow of hotels. This report explores how Africa’s Tourism Recovery goal can be accomplished.

At the Africa Tourism Leadership Forum held in Gaborone, Botswana’s capital, President Dr Mokgweetsi Masisi outlined the objectives of the continent’s tourism industry.

Advertisements
Advertisements

President Masisi emphasized the importance of unity and collaboration, stating, “To tap into our continent’s immense potential, we must work together. The path to success and unprecedented growth in tourism and job creation lies in capitalizing on each other’s strengths and operating as a cohesive unit.” The industry aiming for Africa’s Tourism Recovery by 2024 reaching  as stated by President Masisi in his keynote speech.

Role of Hotel Pipeline for Africa’s Tourism Recovery

Following the easing of COVID-19 restrictions across most African countries, the hotel sector will play a vital role in facilitating the Africa’s Tourism recovery. The TOPHOTELPROJECTS database reveals that Africa already has 267 high-end projects in the pipeline, which will contribute to the revival of tourism. These projects are expected to yield a total of 56,661 rooms.

To achieve the recovery target, the completion of projects in the coming years is crucial. Notably, 2023 leads the pack with 94 high-end projects nearing completion, accounting for approximately 35% of the total pipeline. In 2024, an additional 49 projects are set to finish, while this year sees 35 more deliveries. Furthermore, there are 89 hotels scheduled to be completed beyond 2025.

The upscale and luxury hotel segments are almost evenly distributed, with 140 (52%) of the projects falling under the four-star category, and the remaining 127 (48%) classified as five-star establishments.

Role of Key Countries and Cities 

Egypt holds the top spot for high-end hotel projects in Africa, with 58 underway. Morocco follows closely with 29 properties, while Nigeria is the only sub-Saharan country on the podium, with 22 sites.

Egypt’s capital, Cairo, takes the lead in individual city developments, with 15 hotels in progress. Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, and Nairobi, the capital of Kenya, closely trail with 12 and 11 properties, respectively. These hotel development projects in major cities will contribute to Africa’s Tourism Recovery.

Role of Leading Hotel Brands 

Hilton is at the forefront of major hotel brands expanding in Africa, with 18 high-end projects in the works. Radisson comes in second place with 16 hotels under construction, followed by Novotel with 12 projects. These leading hotel brands can help in Africa’s tourism recovery.

Read: African Hospitality Industry Recovers from Covid-19

A prominent example of Hilton’s presence is the Hilton Secon Nile Tower. That is a 257-room hotel forming part of the two Secon Nile Towers mixed-use development in Cairo. This site is scheduled for completion by the end of this year.

In the Radisson portfolio, the Radisson Hotel La Baie d’Alger in Algiers stands out. This 184-key hotel will offer standard rooms, junior suites, a modern all-day dining restaurant, a lobby lounge, a fully equipped gym and spa, and 308 sq m of meetings and events space.

Another noteworthy development is the Novotel Abidjan Marcory, with 200 guestrooms, set to open in Q3 2023. Located in Abidjan, on Ivory Coast’s southern Atlantic shore, this project will be accompanied by the 110-key Adagio Abidjan Marcory.

RELATED


Accor appoints new Senior VP role to Europe & North Africa(Opens in a new browser tab)

African Hospitality Industry Recovers from Covid-19(Opens in a new browser tab)

Marriott’s Autograph Collection to Launch High-End Lodge in Kruger National Park by 2025

Advertisements